I love a good book and I am often asked – “Which are the best books for image consultants?”
Therefore, I have scoured my bookshelves, and in no particular order, here are my recommendations!
Ten Style Books for Image Consultants
There are lots and lots of style books on the market so to some extent your choice will depend on your ideal client and what is relevant for them, but these are the books that I have used the most, with links to where you can buy them:
- The Instyle books – especially The Secrets of Style – There are lots of titles that have been produced by this organisation and even though they are a few years old the pictures don’t look that dated! The advice remains the same whatever the latest trends so good books to dip in and out of. Link to Amazon
- The Triumph of Individual Style – by Carla Mathis & Helen Villa Connor – An oldie but a classic – not cheap but if you can borrow it from a library or buy second hand it is definitely worth a read. Link to Amazon This is now available online as a digital option with accompanying webinars narrated by Carla. Click here to find out more.
- Make up Manual – by Bobbi Brown – This is the original make-up bible written by this make-up guru, but any of her subsequent books are a good reference as well. Link to Amazon
- The Little Book of Colour – by Karen Haller – The title says it all really! This fabulous book digs deeply into the psychology of colour and how we can use colours to transform both our own and our client’s lives. Link to Amazon
- The Secret Lives of Colour by Kassia St Clear – An in-depth look at colour, how it is created, the science, the art and the history. As well as, a series of fascinating stories behind the names of different shades. Link to Amazon
- You Are What You Wear: What Your Clothes Reveal About You – by Jennifer Baumgartner – An interesting read, looking at the psychology behind the reasons we buy the clothes that we buy….. Link to Amazon
- How to get dressed – by Alison Freer – A fascinating look at how a costume designer makes clothes fit, plus lots of practical advice on clothing care, fit and adding your personality to an outfit. Link to Amazon
- The Life Changing Magic of Tidying – by Marie Kondo – THE guide to organisation! Perfect if you want to focus on wardrobe management and banishing clutter. Link to Amazon
- Dress Your Best Life – by Dawnn Karen – Tips and stories about how to harness the power of clothes to transform your confidence, from a fashion psychologist. Lots of brilliant case studies to help you understand why our clients need us… Link to Amazon
- The Invisible Woman: Taking on the Vintage Years – by Helen Walmsley-Johnson. If you want to work with women over 50 this is a fun but informative book on how to approach this market and guide them to feeling fabulous in their clothes. Link to Amazon
Take your pick and enjoy – If you find any style books that you love please let me know!
If you are looking for a business book to help you start or grow your business click here to read my previous post