Neutral colours really are the secret to a versatile, workable and co-ordinating wardrobe. If you have the right garments in a neutral colour then they become the building blocks of your capsule wardrobe.
The true essence of a neutral colour is that it acts as a base for more “exciting” or interesting colours.
Neutral colours include: black, navy, grey, white, cream, beige, tan, dark brown and camel.
Your choice of neutral colours will depend on your personal colouring. But most clients I work with will probably already have their key garments in black without even realising it!
However, if black isn’t their best colour I work with them to start building their neutral wardrobe in a more flattering colour for them.
The magic really happens when you add clothes and accessories in other colours to this neutral foundation because suddenly everything works together!
Garments to have in neutral colours
The actual garments that you would select depends on your lifestyle and wardrobe requirements. But this list should give you a good guide:
- Coat or Mac
- Jacket – could be a suit or tailored jacket &/or casual jacket
- Pair of trousers – could be different styles and different fabrics for different times of the year and for different occasions
- Skirt – again could be in different styles and fabrics.
- Dress – could be a formal business style, a summer dress, smart casual or a cocktail dress. All options are possible depending on your lifestyle and preferences!
- Knitwear – different style cardigans and jumpers
- Vest top or shell top – great for wearing under jackets and knitwear. And if worn with the same neutral colour trousers or skirt can help you to look taller and slimmer!
- Belt, handbag, scarf, shoes and boots – if you have these items in your neutral colour they will work with almost any outfit you create
Have a look in your wardrobe and see how many of these garments you already have in a neutral colour…..